Vertical stabilizer alignment 15.6 hours

I decided to revisit my alignment. After I thought I had achieved good alignment when I went to install the rudder I had to back out the middle and top rod bearings to the point where I did not have enough thread engagement. I followed the directions exactly. The issue is that the hinges when aligned with a straight edge are off because the hinge lenght must not be exact. So now I have to redo my attach plate as I drilled my holes about an 1/8 inch off, not a task I am looking forward to. I will have to fabricate an new attach plate from sheet for it to work.
Three days work 1/25/17-1/27/17. Fabricated and installed new attach plate. It took me three attempts but the third plate worked. I ended up drilling the holes about 1/8″closer to the attach bolts, that’s all the room I had. The only other option would have been to replace the forward spar.

Bending angle to attach plate.

The shorter one on the right is the new plate.

Not much room between the rivet heads and the spar bars.

Just enough room for the nuts to clear the web edge.

Good rudder horn parallel gap and rod bearings now within 1.5 turns from spec.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s